Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Mason jar salads, ya'll!

Let's be honest Pinterest and I have a long-standing love affair. I once spent hours each evening (obviously pre-baby) scrolling through and finding nursery ideas, baby yoga plans and then tips to keep toddlers busy. Now that Myles is becoming more and more independent (and already has every sensory toy on pinterest:)) I've really started utilizing all of the meal planning/recipes that I've pinned over time. Let me just tell you, there are a lot!

Which led me to this week's new find! I have developed a recent obsession for a local salad restaurant called "Doc Green's" and while I pat myself on the back that I'm eating "healthier" by not choosing fast-fried food, my pocket book is bawling over the hit my checking account is taking! $10.50 a day on a salad isn't exactly budget friendly when you're expected to eat lunch...everyday? Two weeks of Doc's Greens' delicious greens (see what I did there:)) could have afforded me a cute pair of shoes (maybe two?), or a new bag, a massage, maybe even a new outfit if I shopped savvy enough. And don't get wrong, for a while now I've been thinking I needed to get back into packing my lunch but saying and doing are two VERY different things! Especially when any Real Housewives show is on or I just want to sleep. <usually the latter of the two.

Well, this week I put my foot down to myself. I remembered seeing a way to make salads that travel well and prep easily into mason jars so I thought to myself "This, I can do." And well, I did! It's the first pinterest idea that was actually easier than the instructions explained! I've received a few questions about recipes but truthfully I didn't use any of the recipes for salads. I followed the few basic rules and added ingredients that I like. So what are those rules you ask?

1. Dressing ALWAYS goes on the bottom, lettuce ALWAYS go on the top. By putting the dressing farthest from the lettuce you minimize wilting and soggy lettuce.

2. Add the topping next starting with the least porous. Basically just keep in mind that whatever you add on top of the dressing is going to sit and marinate in that dressing for 1, 2, 3, maybe 5 days until you eat it. If you're ok with it getting a little soggy or tasting strongly of the dressing then ok, otherwise don't put it first.

3. Any croutons, tortilla strips, wonton strips, or nuts would go next (or can always be kept in a separate baggy for freshness). Also, if you want to add a meat into your salad you can do that here. I prefer to keep my meat separate and I don't have a good reason for it so it's really your preference.

4. When you do finally add the lettuce don't be afraid to really pack the lettuce in. It's going to crunch and squish but that's ok! It's just lettuce!

5. Add your lid and refrigerate! Now it's just time to wait for lunch and enjoy. When you are ready to eat you just remove enough lettuce to allow the other ingredients to move around a bit (replace the lid) and then shake.

SUPER easy, huh?? The best part is that the possibilities are endless. This is even a great way to use up spare produce that may be wasted otherwise.

Asian ginger salad on the left and fruit salad with poppy seed dressing to the right. YUM!

I had already started eating this salad when I thought about snapping a picture, there's tons of lettuce underneath still though!

No comments:

Post a Comment