Well, its happened. Dean and I officially arrived at McConnell AFB Sunday night around 11:30 pm. We were welcomed to the city by heat lightening and blinding fog, followed by a light rain. But after being on the road almost 14(YES FOURTEEN)hours we were both just ready to stop and be settled SOMEWHERE! Our morning started our successful. We stayed in Hopkinsville with my grandmother, who made us dinner Saturday night and breakfast Sunday morning (mmmmm) and then headed out toward Evansville, IN to start the first leg of our trip on I-64. My dad later told me that my grandmother (an army wife herself) told him the morning was all but nostalgic to her as Dean and I are now the third generation of Military in our family and the second generation to stay at her house before PCS-ing:) This increased my excitement about our move. We made it to I-64 in great time. The weather was favorable and traffic was moderate. We made it to St. Louis by 1:30 and stopped at a local Qdoba that we found (it was like a final gift from god!). Then the problems started.....about 15 miles past St. Louis we hit a traffic jam. After about 30 minutes I saw a roadside marque telling us that the accident was at mile marker 191. This made me uber hopeful because we were at mile 194. 30-45 minutes and ONE mile later Dean had to pee (another gift from god) so we weezled our way out of traffic and onto the exit where a very nice lady told us about an access road that could help us bypass the traffic. THANK THE LORD! at this point we had already stopped for an hour lunch and wasted over an hour in traffic. My GPS that predicted an 8:30 arrival now predicted 10:54 pm and I felt a little queezy. About an hour outside of Kansas City the sun started to set and the rain got heavy. Of course, I had forgotten my glasses in hoptown at my gramma's house so my anxiety was through the roof because I have poor night vision to begin with, adding rain to that situation is a disaster waiting to happen! My exact words to Dean as we were driving through heavy rain, fog, and lightning were "I can't wait to get to Wichita!" Although I'm placing the blame for that comment on my severe fatigue, it was comforting to know we had a place to lay our heads for the night waiting for us:) We checked into the temporary lodging facility and told the pups goodnight. A day of house hunting and familiarizing ourselves with the base and the city was waiting for us. If only it could be done from the comfort of my borrowed bed!
It's all fun and games when you think you're stopping for a good ol' lunch "half way" through your trip:/ this may be the last Qdoba we get for a while though!! (which is why I ate for 3:))
"Treats and snoozin'. Snoozin' and treats. I would have given my life to trade places with him!!"
The gateway to the west!! As you can see, the sun was equally as tired as we were and decided to take a nap and let the rain in:(
Oh BFF this makes me miss you. Snoozin and treats, treats and snoozin haha
ReplyDelete