![]() |
| So, looking at the pictures from left to right (worst case to "best" case) I'm on the far right. Normally the placenta would be toward the top of the uterus in an area opposite of everything you see above. |
After leaving our first real home together in Lexington, Dean and I have arrived at McConnell AFB (Wichita, KS). This blog will (hopefully) keep our friends and family updated as we start a new chapter in our lives!
Friday, September 14, 2012
Who doesn't love a little pregnancy complication??
Not that pregnancy isn't complicated enough:) About a week ago we found out that I have what is medically called "placenta previa". Please don't google it!! Dean made this mistake and by the time I arrived home from work that evening he was preparing himself for the death of his wife and unborn child! Ooooohhh internet. The one thing you can count on to convince you you're dying. I'm convinced they purposely put the worst diagnosis online to get people to go to the doctor in the first place. Is google owned by doctors? I may google this later....I'll probably find out I have cancer:/ Anywho! Back on track. So as you all know we have our "gender" ultrasound at 18 weeks (about 3 weeks ago) and we were over joyed to see that there was a healthy baby BOY inside of me! Fast forward 2 weeks and you arrive at the day my doctors office calls me with this message: "Hi Ashley, this is Melissa the nurse with Dr. Breit's office. Please give me a call back as soon as possible so I can discuss some things the doctor wanted you to be aware of." My heart sank. I knew that my baby was "healthy" according to the ultrasound. The tech pointed out all the organs, both legs, both arms, the spinal cord, the fingers, his face...what did I miss? I instantly called the office back only to be forwarded to a voicemail. VOICEMAIL??!!! AT A TIME LIKE THIS!!??? So, I left my phone-tag message that I was returning her call and would be available the rest of the day. (despite the fact that I was on my way to work! WORK??! AT A TIME LIKE THIS!??) I was going from 0-60, my mind was racing and I was trying to stay cool and calm while warning the girls at work that I was waiting for a call and would be leaving the floor as soon as my phone rang. FINALLY, the phone did ring! I ran off the floor and answered my phone. "Hi Ashley, it's Melissa. Dr. Breit was able to view your ultrasound and she noticed that you have a slight placenta previa." (ok..back to nursing school...placenta previa....I don't remember this being good) "Your placenta isn't fully covering the cervix which is good news but it is lying low and the doctor wants to do another ultrasound at 26 weeks to see if it has "grown" with the uterus and moved up. Until then: no lifting over 20 lbs, and strict pelvic rest for you" If you don't know what pelvic rest is, google it. It's the worst thing that can happen to a seemingly healthy pregnant woman with hormones through the roof!! "She'll discuss more details with you at your appointment on Friday, any questions?" That couldn't have been a serious question. So I answered "no" and hung up the phone so I could update Dean (forgetting to tell him not to google, causing him to freak out) who's first question is: "what could have caused this?" Well, that's a funny story. Literally NOTHING I have done could have or did "cause" it. There are some predisposing factors but they include: women giving birth to multiples (not me), women who have had multiple pregnancies (not me!), Asian or African American women (def not me), women who smoke (nope!), or women who have had previous C-sections (again, eeerrrrrr, not me) causing scare tissue that keeps the placenta from adhering at the top of the uterus. So in other words I won the placenta previa lottery! Not the lottery I was looking for exactly.... (shocker!) Fast forward again to my appt on Friday and the final say per the big boss, aka Dr Breit. She is very optimistic about my prognosis as are Dean and I. I'll post a picture below but in terms of placenta previa cases I have the "best" as far as recovering and being able to have a normal delivery. My case is a low-lying posterior previa. It's not actually covering the cervix, although it may be very very close to it and it covers the "back" of the uterus so there's even a small possibility that if the previa remains I can deliver the baby without C-section! Now is the worst case scenario: at 26 weeks we find out that my previa is still there. I go on bed rest at about 30 weeks. My lifting restriction continues (of course) and pelvic rest remains (oh I hope this doesn't happen!) and I have a scheduled C-section at 35-36 weeks with steroid injections prior to delivery to ensure full lung development. I feel so blessed to have Myles being so healthy that at this point I'm strictly following the doctors orders and planning for a possible early delivery. I will admit that the idea of having a baby at Christmas is blowing my mind! How does December seem SO much closer than January!?? Mind=Blown. And we luckily moved my baby shower up to November 17th the week before we found out about the placenta previa! So worst case scenario I'll go to my baby shower and then go to bed until Myles gets here LOL what an exciting life:) We'll make sure to keep everyone updated (if you want to know that is:)) but for now we're just taking prayers and good vibes! Dean and I have been so extremely blessed I know this is just a scheduled bump in the road. And an excuse for me to get out of moving furniture and carrying laundry or groceries! There really is a silver lining in every situation:)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment