So, my pinterest addiction/habit/hobby has gotten a little out of control over the past year with me "liking" over 1400 things and making about 3...including recipes! lol But now with Myles on the way and baby stuff being priced like a used car (more than it's worth) I decided to try a few things. I didn't have lamps for the nursery yet and it just-so-happened that when we first moved to Kansas I found 2 really cute, WORKING lamps at Goodwill that were just waiting to find a home:) So, a tube of acrylic paint, sponge brush, painters tape and a couple hours later I had a finished lamp! I really love the chevron pattern that has gotten popular recently and not only is it hard to find a chevron lamp shade, when you do they are outrageous! Mostly because they are hand-made or from a boutique or gallery. But I thought "I can find this on pinterest and make it, it can't be that hard!" and it wasn't hard, per-say. It WAS time consuming and intricate! After measuring out the height you kind of just have to guess at the pattern (which is nerve racking and caused even more stress!) but after the first row the worst part was just cutting the corners and getting good, strait lines. I was happily surprised that not only did the painter's tape stick to the lamp pretty well, there was NO bleeding at all! I will always use scotch blue painters tape now, I'm hooked. Actually, there were spots I found after removing the tape that needed more paint (I was afraid to paint to heavy near the seams because of bleeding). So although the lampshade appears complete, when you turn the light on you can see spots that aren't as solid:/ The good news is: I have plenty of paint left:) Touch-up town here I come! I was pretty excited by the finished product though so below I'll post the before, during and after. This may be the first and last lampshade I ever make, but I had a good time and somehow managed not to ruin anything so I'll consider it a success.
 |
| After taping was complete! | |
|
|
|
 |
| Painting complete, sort-of. |
|
|
|
 |
| ....and we have a lamp! less than $10 later, I'm happy:) |
No comments:
Post a Comment