After leaving our first real home together in Lexington, Dean and I have arrived at McConnell AFB (Wichita, KS). This blog will (hopefully) keep our friends and family updated as we start a new chapter in our lives!
Sunday, October 6, 2013
Making Time to Explain (day 5)
One of our good friends, Nicole and her daughter Leila came over for dinner tonight (Saturday) and left me with more good blog information than I know what to do with. One specific conversation with two year old Leila stood out though and I want to share it. It reminded me how simple, pure, and kind the minds and hearts of children are and how we could learn so much by talking and acting (loosely) like them. Young children don't judge, they don't discriminate, they don't hate (despite what they may scream at times) and they call it at face value. Most of you know who my miracle of a nephew Killian is and the long road of surgeries, hospital stays, and illnesses that he has traveled on over the past 22 months. Last year at Christmas, Lindsey (K's mom) made the most creative (and handy!) coasters that had various pictures on them. These pictures just so happened to include a few of baby K in a Santa hat playing with Christmas lights:) Leila proceeded to unstack the coasters and place them side by side. After reorganizing the coasters she began to examine them. Two of K and two of Dean and I. She looked closely at the coaster with Killian and his Santa hat and began to touch K's belly with her finger. She looked at me and said "boo-boo? baby has boo-boo? why baby have boo-boo?" while touching the spot where Killian's gtube is placed. I could see the curiosity in her eyes while a thousand answers raced through my head. I was mentally grasping at one that would be toddler friendly and maybe educational? So I replied, "baby has a boo-boo called a gtube. He's a very special baby and this boo-boo helps him put food in his belly." Leila took a few seconds to process what I said and replied "baby has boo-boo gtube? baby has gtube!" The simplicity and honesty that was her reaction warmed my heart. Leila has no clue what a gtube is and it makes no difference to her whether a baby has one or not. We should all strive to be a little more like two year olds sometimes (minus the fighting-nap-time, throwing-fits, peeing-their-pants, situations).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment